My first time sitting on top of a horse was when I was 7 years old Her name was Honey. I did not fit the saddle but I did not care. She operated by the reins to go left, right, stop. Some how she knew when I wanted her to walk. She took off one time and I fell off. I cried, I was mad, my feelings were hurt, I slapped her on the front quarters and went inside the house. I felt bad all night for being mad. I knew some how it was my fault. Before I left the next day I hugged Honey and said I was sorry before I left. I had got to ride her three more times in my life time before my uncle sold her. I did not get to ride her much. She was on my grandparents farm in west Texas and i lived all the way in Dallas. She made visiting with the grandparents pleasant. I had always looked forward seeing her. Still Wanted my own horse!!!!
As I got older through the years as a kid. My mom ( best mom ever! God bless her heart I wish she was not gone) purchased a dude ranch membership so we could go horse back riding. It made my year. I was 9 years old. We went a couple times on the weekend riding horses. By the time the next year rolled around the dude ranch was closing. No more horse back riding. I was depressed.
I still wanted my own horse.
I would sit down thumbing through the Sundays paper looking at horse prices. My dad hated horses. He considered them "creatures of nuisance" told me I could not have a horse we did not have no property to put a horse on. My solution then go buy some property. Nothing became of it. I still was going to find a way I was going to have a horse. Mom would time to time go visit her sister on the other side of Dallas and as a child I would always travel with her. I looked out my window one day and seen a big piece of land, with stables running down the property, and a BIG SIGN that said STABLES FOR RENT!
Uh OH!!! Was that my answer? Oh yes it was.... I'm back on the horse hunt begging my parents again I wanted a horse. I can stable it.
Bet this was my dads nightmare. I don't think he thought I was smart enough to figure this one out.
I went to the best person in the world to beg for my horse.
MOM!!!!!!!
I found a young grey 3 year old Arabian for sale for $500. I begged my mom, told her about the stables on the way to aunts house, The stables were checked on price wise, and off to see the grey 3 year old Arabian. It was saddle and hackamore, I test ride her and came back and I wanted her ( secretly she felt spooky but I didn't care. I wanted her if I didn't jump on her now I probably will never get a horse, beg, beg, beg,) Yep I got her.
She was young and spirited and had a quite a few of bad habits. Some of it scared me but I still didn't give up on her. All and all we went through the good and bad together. I kept that horse for 17 years. I was 10 years old when she became mine. I didn't end up losing her until I was 27 that is when my mom died and I could not cope with anything in life at that point. My dad took the opportunity to sell both of my horses at a time that I was not all there. I am sure he was quite happy to see them gone.
The horses didn't stay in stables forever. I moved my horse four times in my life time. She was 15 miles away in the first stable that lasted about a year and I moved her to my town that I lived in at a stable. Both stables were in my town.
Parents purchase some land when I was 14 and the horses moved to the land one hour away when I was 17 and that is where they stayed. I visit on the weekends being around them and they fed off the land. from 17 to 27 that is where they stayed. Mom became sick when I was 26 to a little past my birthday in May when I turn 27 then died in Augest battling cancer. When mom died I fell out of touch with the world for about a year. Dad took advantage didn't feel obligated to help me with the horses and went and sold off the horses and horse trailer. I was not happy at all!!! I went and hid my saddle or thought I did, figure he would be after that next since he was so interested in erasing that part of my life out.
I knew someday I would come back to having horses. I had predicted that it would take me 10 years to go back and that is just what is happening.
I am preparing to go back to own my horses again and it is going to make my dad "SHIT" and I Don't Care!

No comments:
Post a Comment